Smoke Alarm Safety Tips
- Don’t forget to check the batteries in your smoke detectors once per month. Replace the batteries every year.
- Install smoke detectors in every bedroom, outside of each sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement.
- To prevent false alarms, don’t place smoke alarms within 10 feet of cooking appliances.
- In general, replace smoke detector units every 10 years, but check the manufacturer’s instructions to see how often your particular unit should be replaced.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Safety Tips
- Place at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home, including the basement.
- A carbon monoxide detector should be placed near or over any attached garage.
- Replace carbon monoxide detectors every five to six years, but check the manufacturer’s instructions to see how often your particular unit should be replaced.
Fire Extinguisher Safety Tips
- When there is a fire in your home, the number one priority is to get everyone out safely.
- Use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area and is not spreading.
- Fire extinguishers should be placed in the kitchen, furnace area, garage and workshop, and along escape routes from the house.